NUR 550 Topic 4 Critical Appraisal of Research
NUR 550 Topic 4 Critical Appraisal of Research
- Distinguish between reliability and validity in research
- Analyze the reliability and validity of methods and results in a translational research
- Describe strategies to maintain the integrity of translational
- Discuss challenges of research design and data
Population Health: Creating a Culture of Wellness
Read Chapters 1 and 6 in Population Health: Creating a Culture of Wellness.
Evidence-Based Practice in Nursing and Healthcare
Read Chapters 5 and 6 in Evidence-Based Practice in Nursing and Healthcare.
Work as an Inclusive Part of Population Health Inequities Research and Prevention
Read “Work as an Inclusive Part of Population Health Inequities Research and Prevention,” by Ahonen et al., from American Journal of Public Health(2018).
Aligning Evidence-Based Practice With Translational Research: Opportunities for Clinical Practice Research
Read “Aligning Evidence-Based Practice With Translational Research: Opportunities for Clinical Practice Research,” by Weiss et al., from JONA: The Journal of Nursing Administration (2018).
Environmental Health Sciences in a Translational Research Framework: More than Benches and Bedsides
Read “Environmental Health Sciences in a Translational Research Framework: More than Benches and Bedsides,” by Kaufman and Curl, from Environmental Health Perspectives (2019).
Scoping Implementation Science for the Beginner: Locating Yourself on the “Subway Line” of Translational Research
Read “Scoping Implementation Science for the Beginner: Locating Yourself on the ‘Subway Line’ of Translational Research,” by Lane-Fall, Curran, and Beidas, from BMC Medical Research Methodology (2019).
Benchmark – Evidence-Based Practice Project: PICOT Paper
Refer to the PICOT you developed for your evidence-based practice project proposal. If your PICOT required revision, include those revisions in this assignment. You will use your PICOT paper for all subsequent assignments you develop as part of your evidence-based practice project proposal in this course and in NUR-590, during which you will synthesize all of the sections into a final written paper detailing your evidence-based practice project proposal.
Write a 750-1,000-word paper that describes your PICOT.
- Describe the population’s demographics and health concerns.
- Describe the proposed evidence-based intervention and explain how your proposed intervention incorporates health policies and goals that support health care equity for the population of focus.
- Compare your intervention to previous practice or research.
- Explain what the expected outcome is for the intervention.
- Describe the time for implementing the intervention and evaluating the outcome.
- Explain how nursing science, social determinants of health, and epidemiologic, genomic, and genetic data are applied or synthesized to support population health management for the selected population.
- Create an Appendix for your paper and attach the PICOT. Be sure to review feedback from your previous submission and revise your PICOT accordingly.
- Complete the “APA Writing Checklist” to ensure that your paper adheres to APA style and formatting criteria and general guidelines for academic writing. Include the completed checklist as the final appendix at the end of your paper.
Refer to the “Evidence-Based Practice Project Proposal – Assignment Overview” document for an overview of the evidence-based practice project proposal assignments.
You are required to cite at least four to six peer-reviewed sources to complete this assignment. Sources must be published within the last 5 years and appropriate for the assignment criteria and nursing content.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. A link to the LopesWrite technical support articles is located in Class Resources if you need assistance.
This benchmark assignment assesses the following programmatic competencies:
MBA-MSN; MSN-Nursing Education; MSN Acute Care Nurse Practitioner-Adult-Gerontology; MSN Family Nurse Practitioner; MSN-Health Informatics; MSN-Health Care Quality and Patient Safety; MSN-Leadership in Health Care Systems; MSN-Public Health Nursing
MS Nursing: Public Health MS Nursing: Education
MS Nursing: Acute Care Nurse Practitioner MS Nursing: Family Nurse Practitioner
MS Nursing: Health Care Quality and Patient Safety
4.1: Synthesize nursing science, determinants of health, and epidemiologic, genomic, and genetic data in the management of population health.
Topic 4 DQ 1
Distinguish between reliability and validity in research design. Using a translational research article from your graphic organizer, analyze the methods and results sections to discuss reliability and validity as it relates to the translational research. Include the permalink to the article in your reference.
Topic 4 DQ 2
Identify a data collection tool you could use for your research. Consider how you could employ translational research to potentially overcome barriers, which may arise during data collection. Identify the best type of translational research to address this barrier and provide rationale for the type you have chosen. What strategies would you employ to provide an understanding of your chosen type of translational research and to gather collaborative support?
Topic 4 Participation
NUR-550 Course Objectives
In this course, the student will:
- Explore research articles, nursing and related theories, applying levels of evidence, and theoretical frameworks to identify quality research studies.
- Demonstrate understanding of scientific inquiry, knowledge generation, utilization, and dissemination in advanced nursing practice.
- Evaluate the evidence for potential solutions/innovations that can potentially solve a health care issue and improve patient outcomes.
- Identify gaps in nursing knowledge and evidence-based practice that can potentially be resolved by planning and implementing a practice change project.
- Formulate a clinically researchable question amenable to an innovative evidence-based practice change
- Write a scholarly literature review that supports a clinically researchable question amenable to an innovative evidence-based practice change proposal.
- Evaluate health policy and advocacy issues for the purpose of improving health care outcomes.
- Engage in scientific inquiry into the state of health care delivery, patient-centered care, and ethical principles related to health beliefs, health promotion, and risk reduction of diverse populations.
- Propose quality improvement initiatives that advance the delivery of safe, high-quality health care.
- Use principles from epidemiology, biostatistics, genetics, genomics, and cultural competence to guide comparisons of various patient populations.
NUR 550 Topic 8: Using Research to Support Health Policy, Advocacy, and Policy Development
NUR 550 Topic 3 Translational Research Framework and Legal and Ethical Considerations
NUR 550 Benchmark Evidence-Based Practice Project Literature Review