SOCW 6301 Week 1 Assignment
SOCW 6301 Week 1 Assignment
Assignment: Peer Reviewed Social Work Journals
Reflect on the importance of using articles from peer-reviewed journals compared to information from the Internet. Ask yourself who evaluates the accuracy of information that you might obtain websites like Wikipedia and what form of accountability there is to ensuring that information is up-to-date, reliable, and valid.
Review the Final Assignment: Article Review and Critique in Week 10 for this class. Note that you will have to locate an empirical research article from a peer-reviewed journal. Begin to search for an article. Practice navigating the databases in the library by searching topics of interest. (Note: At this point, you do not need to identify the actual empirical research article. The goal of this assignment is to begin getting comfortable navigating the databases in the library).
For this Assignment, complete the following:
- Identify a list of 10 peer reviewed social work journals from the library that you might find helpful relative to your social work practice interests.
- In a 100 word paragraph, discuss why using research studies from peer reviewed journals is important to the development of knowledge in social work. For example, discuss the advantages of having articles reviewed by other scholars and researchers. Then using a case illustration, describe how articles from peer-reviewed journals can help to inform your social work practice decisions with clients, communities, agencies, and/or social work policies.
Research and Practice
Being a social worker is a difficult job. At times it can be challenging. At times it can be rewarding. Having a reliable and trusted network of colleagues can be a source of both professional and personal support and encouragement. The same sentiment can be applied to you and your online classmates. In order to practice presenting yourself to others and fostering collaboration within an academic community, you will upload a video introducing yourself to your colleagues. Your introduction is not a graded assignment and will not be calculated into your final grade.
- Record and upload, by Day 3, a 2 minute video which includes the following: (Just answer An explanation of your current environment, An explanation of two elements in your current social environment that most influence you, and A description of how the two most influential elements impact you. Make sure the information is long enough for 2 minutes
- Your name : Fredrick Cotton
- Your geographic location: Louisiana
- An explanation of your current environment
- An explanation of two elements in your current social environment that most influence you
A description of how the two most influential elements impact you
Use the following coupon code :