NUR 550 Topic 2: Epidemiology, Biostatistics, Genetics, and Genomics
NUR 550 Topic 2: Epidemiology, Biostatistics, Genetics, and Genomics
- Describe the role of epidemiology in researching population health
- Describe the role of epidemiology in addressing population health
- Explain the value of biostatistics in population health
- Discuss the application of translational research to global
Advanced Practice Nursing: Essential Knowledge for the Profession
Read Chapter 19 in Advanced Practice Nursing: Essential Knowledge for the Profession.
Population Health: Creating a Culture of Wellness
Read Chapters 2 and 3 in Population Health: Creating a Culture of Wellness.
Evidence-Based Practice in Nursing and Healthcare
Read Chapters 2 and 3 in Evidence-Based Practice in Nursing and Healthcare.
Read “Biostatistics,” by Minkoff, from Magill’s Medical Guide (2018).
Read “Population Health” by Bibb, from Encyclopedia of Nursing Research (2017).
A Research Utilisation Framework for Informing Global Health and Development Policies and Programmes
Read “A Research Utilisation Framework for Informing Global Health and Development Policies and Programmes,” by Christine et al., from Health Research Policy and Systems (2018). GCU NUR-550 Translational Research and Population Health Management
Read “Translational Research” by White, from Encyclopedia of Nursing Research (2017)
Overview and Summary: Translational Research: From Knowledge to Practice
Read “Overview and Summary: Translational Research: From Knowledge to Practice,” by Naylor, from the Online Journal of Issues in Nursing (2018).
Explore “Genomics” located on the HealthPeople.gov website.
Evidence-Based Practice Project Proposal: Research Design Comparison
The purpose of this assignment is to conduct a comparison on different research designs to better understand their designs and application. Understanding the different types of research design is essential so that nurses can effectively apply evidence-based research into practice to address issues and offer better patient care.
You will utilize your approved nursing practice problem to complete the evidence-based practice project proposal assignments for this course and NUR-590, during which you will synthesize all of the sections into a final written paper detailing your evidence-based practice project proposal.
Review feedback from your instructor on your “Evidence-Based Practice Project Proposal: Identification of Nursing Practice Problem,” submitted in Topic 1. If your original proposed nursing problem was outside the scope of nursing practice or not conducive to an evidence-based practice project proposal, work with your instructor to identify a new topic prior to beginning this assignment. If your proposed topic requires revision, complete this prior to beginning this assignment.
Conduct a literature search on your approved nursing practice problem. Find two translational research articles, one quantitative article, and one qualitative article. Using the “Translational Research Graphic Organizer,” present your proposed topic and, in the tables provided, compare one translational study to the quantitative study and one translational study to the qualitative study.
Refer to the “Evidence-Based Practice Project Proposal – Assignment Overview” document for an overview of the evidence-based practice project proposal assignments.
You are required to cite four peer-reviewed sources to complete this assignment. Sources must be published within the last 5 years and appropriate for the assignment criteria and nursing content.
While APA style is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and documentation of sources should be presented using APA formatting guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide located in the Student Success Center. GCU NUR-550 Translational Research and Population Health Management
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are not required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite.
NUR 550 Topic 8: Using Research to Support Health Policy, Advocacy, and Policy Development
NUR 550 Topic 3 Translational Research Framework and Legal and Ethical Considerations
NUR 550 Topic 4: Critical Appraisal of Research
NUR 550 Benchmark Evidence-Based Practice Project Literature Review
NUR 550 Topic 2: Epidemiology, Biostatistics, Genetics, and Genomics Topic 2 DQ 1
Explain the value of biostatistics in population health research. Describe the role of epidemiology in researching and addressing population health challenges. How are epidemiology and biostatistics significant to your evidence-based practice proposal?
NUR 550 Topic 2: Epidemiology, Biostatistics, Genetics, and Genomics Topic 2 DQ 2
Consider ecological and global issues, social determinants of health, principles of genetics, and genomics. Explain how translational research can be applied in these areas to address the burden of global disease.
Topic 2 Participation
NUR-550 Course Objectives
In this course, the student will:
- Explore research articles, nursing and related theories, applying levels of evidence, and theoretical frameworks to identify quality research studies.
- Demonstrate understanding of scientific inquiry, knowledge generation, utilization, and dissemination in advanced nursing practice.
- Evaluate the evidence for potential solutions/innovations that can potentially solve a health care issue and improve patient outcomes.
- Identify gaps in nursing knowledge and evidence-based practice that can potentially be resolved by planning and implementing a practice change project.
- Formulate a clinically researchable question amenable to an innovative evidence-based practice change
- Write a scholarly literature review that supports a clinically researchable question amenable to an innovative evidence-based practice change proposal.
- Evaluate health policy and advocacy issues for the purpose of improving health care outcomes.
- Engage in scientific inquiry into the state of health care delivery, patient-centered care, and ethical principles related to health beliefs, health promotion, and risk reduction of diverse populations.
- Propose quality improvement initiatives that advance the delivery of safe, high-quality health care.
- Use principles from epidemiology, biostatistics, genetics, genomics, and cultural competence to guide comparisons of various patient populations.
APA Writing Style
APA Style is required for all writing assignments in this course, where indicated. Please prepare these assignments according to the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
You may want to consider purchasing a copy of the APA style guide, as this will be a helpful resource throughout your program.
- NUR 550 Topic 2: Epidemiology, Biostatistics, Genetics, and Genomics
- NUR 590 Based on the PICOT you developed for NUR 550 Summarize the Intervention you are Proposing
- NUR 550 Benchmark Evidence-Based Practice Project Literature Review
- GCU NUR-550 Translational Research and Population Health Management