NUR-590 Topic 5 Evidence-Based Practice Implementation
Topic 5: Evidence-Based Practice Implementation
Sep 09, 2021 – Sep 15, 2
GCU NUR-590 Topic 5 Evidence-Based Practice Implementation
- Propose an implementation plan for the evidence-based practice proposal.
- Propose strategies for overcoming barriers to the implementation of the evidence-based practice proposal.
Topic 5 DQ 1
GO TO DISCUSSION
Points 5 Status
What are some of the obstacles or barriers to implementing evidence-based practice (EBP) in nursing? Explain how at least one of the obstacles you have described could impact the implementation for your EBP project. GCU NUR-590 Topic 5: Evidence-Based Practice Implementation
Topic 5 DQ 2
Points 5 StatusUpcoming
Identify two stakeholder barriers you might experience during the implementation phase of your evidence-based practice project. What strategies can you implement to gain stakeholder support for the project implementation. Provide a suggestion you would give to a colleague who is struggling with obtaining stakeholder support.
Evidence-Based Practice Project Proposal: Implementation Plan
In 1,250-1,500 words, discuss the implementation plan for your evidence-based practice project proposal. When required, create the appropriate form, table, image, or graph to fully illustrate that aspect of the intervention plan and include them in an appendix of your paper.
You will use the implementation plan, including the associated documents in your appendices, in the Topic 8 assignment, during which you will synthesize the various aspects of your project into a final paper detailing your evidence-based practice project proposal.
Include the following:
- Describe the setting and access to potential subjects. If there is a need for a consent or approval form, then one must be created. Include a draft of the form as an appendix at the end of your paper.
- Create a timeline. Make sure the timeline is general enough that it can be implemented at any date. Based on the timeline you created, describe the amount of time needed to complete this project. Include a draft of the timeline as an appendix at the end of your paper. GCU NUR-590 Topic 5: Evidence-Based Practice Implementation
- Develop a budget and resource list. Consider the clinical tools or process changes that would need to take place. Based on the budget and resource list you developed: (a) describe the resources (human, fiscal, and other) or changes needed in the implementation of the solution; (b) outline the costs for personnel, consumable supplies, equipment (if not provided by the institute), computer-related costs (librarian consultation, database access, etc.), and other costs (travel, presentation development). Include a draft of the budget and resource list as an appendix at the end of your paper.
- Explain whether you would select a qualitative or quantitative design to collect data and evaluate the effectiveness of your evidence-based practice project proposal. Provide rationale to support your selection.
- Describe the methods and instruments (questionnaire, scale, or test) to be used for monitoring the implementation of the proposed solution. Include the method or instrument as an appendix at the end of your paper.
- Explain the process for delivering the intervention and indicate if any training will be needed.
- Discuss the stakeholders that are needed to implement the plan.
- Consider all of the aspects of your implementation plan and discuss potential barriers or challenges to the plan. Propose strategies for overcoming these.
- Establish the feasibility of the implementation plan.
Refer to the “Evidence-Based Practice Project Proposal – Assignment Overview” document for an overview of the evidence-based practice project proposal assignments.
You are required to cite a minimum of five peer-reviewed sources to complete this assignment. Sources must be published within the last 5 years and appropriate for the assignment criteria and nursing content.
Complete the “APA Writing Checklist” to ensure that your paper adheres to APA style and formatting criteria and general guidelines for academic writing. Include the completed checklist as an appendix at the end of your paper.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. A link to the LopesWrite technical support articles is located in Class Resources if you need assistance.
Evidence-Based Practice Proposal – Section E: Implementation Plan Sample Approach
The act of implementing any change within a healthcare facility involves many aspects.
Different parties, stages, barriers, and drivers are all involved in the process (Sanders et al., 2014). The methods that will be used to implement the suggested solution are the main topic of this section. The answer pertains to the issue that the hypothesis statement’s previous identification of.
The medical intervention to lessen agitation in dementia patients has a variety of limitations. The main remedy entails altering one’s conduct. Therefore, the utilization of alternative interventions would be crucial to the healing process. Participating in alternative therapies, which include music and art, is one of the best ways to calm agitation. Therefore, it will be crucial for the victims to exercise physically.
Setting and Access to Potential Subjects
Implementation of the recommended solutions will be observed in five main care centers. The recruitment of the subjects to take part in the study will be voluntary. Advertisement will be done for one week to make sure that as many people with dementia find the message. It is required that all the studies which involve human beings as the participants need to have informed consent from all the participants (Barber, 2018).
All the old patients who have dementia will be required to offer their willingness to take part in the study by signing the informed consent. The signing of the form will indicate that the patients have been educated on the expectations of the study.
To implement the issue of physical activities in dementia patients, it is important to have a specific time frame. The use of exercises will be essential in reducing agitation in dementia patients. The entire project will take a period of eight weeks.
In the implementation stage, resources are needed to make work easier. The process means that a budget must be provided to cater for the costs of resources required. The implementation stage is one of the most expensive stages and has found many of the change projects failing as a result of failing to collect all the required resources.
In the process of implementing the proposed solutions to reduce the rate of agitation in dementia patients, the following resources will be necessary. The first important resources will be the physical trainers who will be in charge of the physical exercises, the physical facilities needed for training, medical doctors as well as dieticians.
Methods and Instruments for Monitoring the Implementation
The main item that will be used to evaluate the implementation of the recommended solution will be the use of a questionnaire. These questionnaires will be administered to the patients after every one month. The method is preferred since it offers an easy time to analyze. It is also a familiar method with the staff and the leadership of many healthcare organizations. The use of the questionnaire will also be vital since it will lower the cost of the study.
The price will be reduced since the amount used to photocopy the papers will be limited (Yarosh, Markopoulos & Abowd, 2014). Many of the respondents have, in most cases, filled a questionnaire earlier in their life or have heard of it. Since they are required to put a tick or an X against the given question, it is easily coupled with simple questions about their progress. Another benefit is that the response will be honest as it is filled individually and in private.
Process of Intervention Delivery
The delivery of the proposed solution will be on the use of an integrated approach (Hill, Jones & Schilling, 2014). The primary interventions to be used include behavior change, nutritional education, as well as involvement in physical activities. The participants will be educated on eating healthy for the exercises as well as the type of activities to take part in to avoid straining. All the participants will take part in the intervention without leaving anyone behind.
Simple tasks will be chosen at first, which will progress with advanced exercises with time to strengthen their muscles and regain the lost energy. Training and education on what to do and what not to do are essential before rolling out the exercise.
Data Collection Plan
In the entire period of eight weeks that the study will be running, data will be collected continuously in the data collection phase through the use of a questionnaire. The participants will be the source of information regarding their progress after being subjected to the intervention.
Each week, the participants will fill the form of the results obtained after they were subjected to physical exercises. The results will indicate the effectiveness of the intervention in reducing the rate of agitation within the first two to three hours. The collected data will then be entered into excel spreadsheets.
The other step will involve interpretation and analysis when the study is done. The questionnaire used for data collection will be similar to the one used in the monitoring of the implementation.
Strategies to Deal with Challenges
The main challenges in the study include the high costs of training and lack of physical training materials. Many sick people fail to afford healthy food due to their price. During the exercising period, the patients will be required to eat healthily an issue that will cost the amounts of money.
Partnering with producers of organic food in the study will help in obtaining the menu at a relatively lower price or even for free. Many hospitals do not have the required physical training facilities more so free ones. Partnerships with institutions of higher learning will be effective as many of them have the best facilities for training in their sports departments.
Feasibility of the Implementation Plan
The entire project will incur different costs more so during the implementation phase. Some of the costs incurred include the physical trainer fee. It would be cost-effective to hire trainers as opposed to paying them since the study will be limited to a short period. The following are some of the costs that will be incurred in the course of the implementation. The other issue relates to the subsidy for the healthy food required by the patients during the study period.
The presence of healthy, subsidized food will help the participants take part in physical activities. The subsidy will help manage the costs of the project since a healthy diet cannot be afforded by many people (Allcott, Diamond & Dubé, 2017). There will be a need to have a data storage device that will store the data collected over the eight week time when the study will run. Plan for Maintenance, Extension, Revision, and Discontinuation of the Proposed Solution
The decision involved to extend, maintain, and revise, or even to discontinue the intervention is taken based on the collected data. The questionnaire administered to the participants forms the basis of the decision making process. The success of the data collection method used to give positive feedback is essential to enable reaching the primary decision.
GCU NUR-590 Topic 5 Evidence-Based Practice Implementation References
- Allcott, H., Diamond, R., & Dubé, J. P. (2017). The geography of poverty and nutrition: Food deserts and food choices across the United States. National Bureau of Economic Research.
- Barber, B. (2018). Research on human subjects: Problems of social control in medical experimentation. Routledge
- Hill, C. W., Jones, G. R., & Schilling, M. A. (2014). Strategic management: theory: an integrated approach. Cengage Learning
- Sanders, T., Nio Ong, B., Sowden, G., & Foster, N. (2014). Implementing change in physiotherapy: professions, contexts and interventions. Journal of health organization and management, 28(1), 96-114
- Yarosh, S., Markopoulos, P., & Abowd, G. D. (2014, February). Towards a questionnaire for measuring affective benefits and costs of communication technologies. In Proceedings of the 17th ACM conference on Computer supported cooperative work & social computing (pp. 84-96). ACM
GCU NUR-590 Topic 5 Evidence-Based Practice Implementation Participation
GO TO DISCUSSION
Points 20 Status Upcoming
There is no description for this assessment.
Strategies, Facilitators and Barriers to Implementation of Evidence-Based Practice in Community Nursing: A Systematic Mixed-Studies Review and Qualitative Synthesis
Read “Strategies, Facilitators and Barriers to Implementation of Evidence-Based Practice in Community Nursing: A Systematic Mixed-Stu
… Read More
Advanced Nursing Research: From Theory to Practice
Read Chapter 25 in Advanced Nursing Research: From Theory to Practice.
30 Safe Practices for Better Health Care
Read “30 Safe Practices for Better Health Care,” located in the Archive section of the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
… Read More
Implementation Science Training and Resources for Nurses and Nurse Scientists
Read “Implementation Science Training and Resources for Nurses and Nurse Scientists,” by Boehm, Stolldorf, and Jeffery, from
… Read More
Improving 3-Hour Sepsis Bundled Care Outcomes: Implementation of a Nurse-Driven Sepsis Protocol in the Emergency Department
Read “Improving 3-Hour Sepsis Bundled Care Outcomes: Implementation of a Nurse-Driven Sepsis Protocol in the Emergency Department,
… Read More
Evidence-Based Practice in Nursing and Healthcare: A Guide to Best Practice
Review Chapter 1 in Evidence-Based Practice in Nursing and Healthcare: A Guide to Best Practice. GCU NUR-590 Topic 5: Evidence-Based Practice Implementation
Center for Theory of Change
Explore the Center for Theory of Change website.
Advanced Practice Nursing: Essential Knowledge for the Profession
Read Chapter 20 in Advanced Practice Nursing: Essential Knowledge for the Profession.
The Teach Back Project: A System-Wide Evidence Based Practice
Read “The Teach Back Project: A System-Wide Evidence Based Practice,” by Klingbeil and Gibson, from Journal of Pediatric Nurs
… Read More