Get a 10 % discount on an order above $ 100!
PRAC – 6665 Week 1: Competencies of Advanced Nursing Practice
PRAC – 6665 Week 1: Competencies of Advanced Nursing Practice
|What do I have to do?||When do I have to do it?|
|Review your Learning Resources.||Days 1–7|
|Assignment 1: Practicum Site Information||Submit Assignment 1 by Day 2.|
|Assignment 2: Clinical Skills Self-Assessment||Submit Assignment 2 by Day 7.|
|Assignment 3: Clinical Hour and Patient Logs||Track your clinical hours and patient encounters in
Meditrek throughout this practicum course. Each week,
your logs must be completed by Day 7.
Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.
—Xun Kuang, Chinese Confucian philosopher
Welcome to your PMHNP Care Across the Lifespan I Practicum! The practicum experience is an experiential learning opportunity which allows you to gain and refine your clinical advanced nursing skills under the mentorship of a Preceptor. As you engage with patients in the practicum setting, your involvement will extend your learning about a variety of psychiatric and mental health care needs for patients across the lifespan.
Throughout the next 11 weeks, you will evaluate your skill development, reflect on patient encounters, and generate goals related to your growth as an advanced practice nurse. This week, you start by assessing your strengths and opportunities related to psychiatric-mental health nurse practitioner (PMHNP) clinical skills.
- Complete practicum site form
- Assess clinical skills related to advanced psychiatric-mental health nursing practice
- Develop measurable goals and objectives for the practicum experience
- Describe clinical hours and patient encounters
- American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. (2018). CPT code training module. https://www.aacap.org/App_Themes/AACAP/docs/clinical_practice_center/business_of_practice/cpt/2018_CPT_module_revised_March_2018.pdf
- American Association of Nurse Practitioners. (2019). Discussion paper: Standards of practice for nurse practitioners. https://storage.aanp.org/www/documents/advocacy/position-papers/StandardsOfPractice.pdf
- American Psychiatric Association. (2020). Coding and reimbursement. https://www.psychiatry.org/psychiatrists/practice/practice-management/coding-reimbursement-medicare-and-medicaid/coding-and-reimbursement
- American Psychiatric Nurses Association. (2013). Population-focused nurse practitioner competencies. https://www.apna.org/files/Councils/Population-Focused-NP-Competencies-2013.pdf
- International Council of Nurses. (2020). Guidelines on advanced practice nursing 2020. https://www.icn.ch/system/files/documents/2020-04/ICN_APN%20Report_EN_WEB.pdf
- Note: Use this link to log into Meditrek to report your clinical hours and patient encounters.
- The National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties
- The National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties. (2017). Nurse practitioner core competencies content.
- Walden University Academic Skills Center. (2017). Developing SMART goals.
- Walden University Field Experience. (2020a). Field experience: College of Nursing.
- Walden University Field Experience. (2020b). MSN nurse practitioner practicum manual.
- Walden University Field Experience. (2020c). Walden University School of Nursing: Practicum orientation and resource guide for students: MSN—nurse practitioner.
- Document: Practicum Site Information Form (Word document)
- Document: PMHNP Clinical Skills List (PDF)
- Document: PMHNP Clinical Skills Self-Assessment Form (Word document)
Practicum Manual Acknowledgment
The Practicum Manual describes the structure and timing of the classroom-based and practicum experiences and the policies students must follow to be successful in the nurse practitioner (NP) specialties.
Click here and follow the instructions to confirm you have downloaded and read the entire MSN Nurse Practitioner Practicum Manual and will abide by the requirements described in order to successfully complete this program. PRAC – 6665 Week 1: Competencies of Advanced Nursing Practice
Assignment 1: Practicum Site Information
Photo Credit: EscoLux / E+ / Getty Images
Prior to starting the course, you should have applied for a practicum site following the guidelines for psychiatric-mental health nurse practitioner (PMHNP) practice. Now it is time to make it official. For this Assignment, you provide your Clinical Faculty with information about your practicum site, your Preceptor, and your clinical calendar.
- Verify that your practicum application has been approved by logging in to Meditrek.
- Access the Practicum Site Information Form from the Learning Resources.
Complete the designated areas of the Practicum Site Information Form, including your practicum site and contact information, your Preceptor and contact information, and a schedule of when you plan to engage in practicum activities onsite.
By Day 2 of Week 1
Submit your completed Practicum Site Information Form.
Submit Your Assignment by Day 7 of Week 1
To participate in this Assignment:
Week 1 Assignment 1
Assignment 2: Clinical Skills Self-Assessment
Photo Credit: AndreyPopov / iStock / Getty Images Plus / Getty Images
Before embarking on any professional or academic activity, it is important to understand the background, knowledge, and experience you bring to it. You might ask yourself, “What do I already know? What do I need to know? And what do I want to know?” This critical self-reflection is especially important for developing clinical skills such as those for advanced practice nursing.
The PMHNP Clinical Skills List and PMHNP Clinical Skills Self-Assessment Form provided in the Learning Resources can be used to celebrate your progress throughout your practicum and identify skills gaps. The skills list covers all necessary skills you should demonstrate during your practicum experiences.
For this Assignment (just as you did in PRAC 6645), you assess where you are now in your clinical skill development and make plans for this practicum. Specifically, you will identify strengths and opportunities for improvement regarding the required practicum skills. In this practicum experience, when developing your goals and objectives, be sure to keep assessment and diagnostic reasoning in mind. As you complete your self-assessment this week, you may wish to look back over your self-assessments from prior practicums to reflect on your growth.
- Review the clinical skills in the PMHNP Clinical Skills List document. It is recommended that you print out this document to serve as a guide throughout your practicum.
- Review the “Developing SMART Goals” resource on how to develop goals and objectives that follow the SMART framework.
- Review the resources on nursing competencies and nursing theory, and consider how these inform your practice.
- Download the PMHNP Clinical Skills Self-Assessment Form to complete this Assignment.
Use the PMHNP Clinical Skills Self-Assessment Form to complete the following:
- Rate yourself according to your confidence level performing the skills identified in the Clinical Skills Self-Assessment Form.
- Based on your ratings, summarize your strengths and opportunities for improvement.
- Based on your self-assessment and theory of nursing practice, develop three to four (3–4) measurable goals and objectives for this practicum experience. Include them on the designated area of the form.
By Day 7 of Week 1
Submit your completed PMHNP Clinical Skills Self-Assessment Form.
Submission and Grading Information
To submit your completed Assignment for review and grading, do the following:
- Please save your Assignment using the naming convention “WK1Assgn2+last name+first initial.(extension)” as the name.
- Click the Week 1 Assignment 2 Rubric to review the Grading Criteria for the Assignment.
- Click the Week 1 Assignment 2 link. You will also be able to “View Rubric” for grading criteria from this area.
- Next, from the Attach File area, click on the Browse My Computer button. Find the document you saved as “WK1Assgn2+last name+first initial.(extension)” and click Open.
- If applicable: From the Plagiarism Tools area, click the checkbox for I agree to submit my paper(s) to the Global Reference Database.
- Click on the Submit button to complete your submission.
To access your rubric:
Week 1 Assignment 2 Rubric
Assignment 3: Clinical Hour and Patient Logs
Photo Credit: auremar / Adobe Stock
Clinical Hour Log
For this course, all practicum activity hours are logged within the Meditrek system. Hours completed must be logged in Meditrek within 48 hours of completion in order to be counted.
You may only log hours with Preceptors that are approved in Meditrek. Students with catalog years before Spring 2018 must complete a minimum of 576 hours of supervised clinical experience (144 hours in each practicum course). Students with catalog years beginning Spring 2018 must complete a minimum of 640 hours of supervised clinical experience (160 hours in each practicum course). By the end of Week 1, make sure you confirm that your Preceptor and Clinical Faculty are set up in Meditrek.
Each log entry must be linked with an individual practicum Learning Objective or a graduate Program Objective. You should track your hours in Meditrek as they are completed.PRAC – 6665 Week 1: Competencies of Advanced Nursing Practice
Your clinical hour log must include the following:
- Clinical Faculty
- Total Time (for the day)
- Notes/Comments (including the objective to which the log entry is aligned)
Throughout this course, you will also keep a log of patient encounters using Meditrek. You must record at least 80 encounters with patients by the end of this practicum (40 children/adolescents and 40 adult/older adult).
The patient log must include the following:
- Clinical Faculty
- Patient Number
- Client Information
- Visit Information
- Practice Management
- Treatment Plan and Notes: You must include a brief summary/synopsis of the patient visit. This does not need to be a SOAP note, however the note needs to be sufficient to remember your patient encounter.
By Day 7 of Week 1
Record your clinical hours and patient encounters in Meditrek.
What’s Coming Up in Week 2?
Photo Credit: [BrianAJackson]/[iStock / Getty Images Plus]/Getty Images
Next week, you will coordinate contact with your Clinical Faculty and Preceptor for orientation and onboarding, as well as to discuss goals and any related questions. You will continue recording your clinical hours and patient encounters in Meditrek. You will also engage with resources to bolster your confidence in assessing, diagnosing, and treating patients.
Looking Ahead: Practicum Experience Plan (PEP)
Now that you have completed your self-assessment in Week 1, in Week 2 you will begin developing your Practicum Experience Plan (PEP). Your self-assessment will inform your plan.
Photo Credit: anyaberkut / iStock / Getty Images Plus / Getty Images
To go to the next week: