Assignment: Prosocial Behavior
Assignment: Prosocial Behavior
PSY 362 Topic 8 Prosocial Behavior GCU
Use the document “Prosocial Behavior” to successfully complete this assignment.This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. Please refer to the directions in the Student Success Center.PSY362-RS-ProsocialBehavior.docx
Topic 8 – Altruism and Cooperation Prosocial Behavior Example Paper
This assignment contains two parts. You may type directly into this worksheet.
Part I: Random Acts of Kindness Foundation Website
Visit the website of The Random Acts of Kindness Foundation, an organization dedicated to altruistic pursuits. Review the information, literature, and downloadable documents, then in 100-250 words answer the following two questions.
- What is the purpose of this website/movement?
- The purpose of the Random Acts of Kindness Foundation website is to encourage and promote kindness. It consists of several different types of kindness people have enacted on from leaving big tips, to surprise birthday parties. It is a foundation that allows people to share their experiences of showing kindness to others.
- What story or stories influenced you the most and why?
- I was influenced the most by the post “Giving to the Poor is Something We Don’t do Nearly Enough”. I was influenced because of its encouragement. After giving so many times you kind of start to slow down because of the repetitiveness and the money being lost. After giving our lives continue, but so does poverty and the lives of the poor. It’s humbling to make an impact on someone’s life, big or small.
Part II: My Prosocial Day
Design your own assignment in which you implement five acts of kindness (prosocial behavior) or an entire DAY of compassion and kindness. Use your discretion, common sense, and modesty at all times. Do not put yourself in an environment of potential danger or harm.
Answer the following questions, one paragraph per question (100 words minimum) will suffice
- Describe your implementation of kindness: what did you do, how did you approach the idea, where did you implement it and to whom?
- I implemented kindness by giving money to 3 homeless people and offered assistance to two neighbors moving into their home. As I was walking up to Chipotle the other day a homeless man walked past me and asked if I had anything and I gave him the only two dollars in my pocket. The other two homeless people I gave a dollar to after stopping at a traffic light. I also got home this same night and saw an old Asian woman who needed help with her luggage that she was taking into her new apartment. I grabbed it for her and walked it up stairs.
- Describe the reactions you perceived from others and yourself.
- I received a great and rather surprising reaction from the cashier inside Chipotle after the encounter when I went to purchase my meal and she gave it to me for free. I don’t think she could see all the way outside to see that I had just given a homeless man some of my money, but I think she did it innately because of that. The response I received from the homeless guy was just thankfulness, as I did the other 2 homeless people. They said, “Thank you so much and God bless you” and I replied to them that I would pray for them in return. One of the women carrying tons of bags to her new apartment insisted that I didn’t have to help, but after I did she was very grateful also. The other person I helped hold the door for was grateful also and asked if I would like anything in return.
- Describe what you learned about prosocial behavior from this exercise. Compare the actual application of the behavior relative to this topic material (hint: may want to integrate text info here!).
- Prosocial behavior is any actions that are taken in order to help others. This is similar to altruism, “unselfish behavior that benefits others without regard to consequences for oneself” (Gilovich, pg. 524). I learned that with prosocial behavior comes a great deal of appreciativeness and it is applied by having empathic concern for another individual. This concern can be overdrawn by other situational factors like the bystander effect, which implies that people a less likely to help in the presence of other people. I experienced this awkward feeling after second guessing if I should still give one of the homeless men money with all of the other passengers in their cars watching as he walked over. It was effortless to the homeless man in the Chipotle parking lot because it was only him and I.
- If you are a faith-based person, explain how your faith helped you implement your helping behavior. If you are not a faith-based person, explain what philosophy, belief system, or values you connected to helping behavior.
- Kindness comes natural to me because I grew up watching my mom go out of her way to do things for other people all of the time. She strongly enforced how lucky our family is and blessed that we are healthy and have things because there is a vast amount of people in this world who don’t. It is one of my morals that “if you do good, then good things will come to you”, so I try to live by this at all times and make the best impact that I can on the world. If I could do more I would and I plan to.
Please integrate at least one outside source into this worksheet. Solid academic writing is expected, and documentation of sources should be presented using APA formatting guidelines. Do not forget to list references at the bottom of the page.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to Turnitin. Please refer to the directions in the Student Success Center.
Daves, V. (n.d.). The Kind Blog. Retrieved from https://www.randomactsofkindness.org/the- kindness-blog
Gilovich. T, Keltner. D, Chen. S, and Nisbett. R (2015). Social Psychology [Fourth edition]. Retrieved from https://digital.wwnorton.com/3070/r/goto/cfi/172!/4
Use the following coupon code :